Sunday, January 24, 2010

Onion Chutney

I have been eyeing this recipe for onion chutney that I found on Closet Cooking.  Yesterday I had a bag of onions and was going to our friends K & A's house for dinner so I decided to try it out!

It was a success!  We bought some cow's milk cheese and just scooped the chutney over cheese on a cracker.  The cheese we bought was disappointingly boring but the chutney livened it up.  I've never made a chutney before and am still not 100% sure what actually makes a chutney.  My husband thinks it is the combo of sweet and spicy.  Any opinions?  Either way this dish is destined to become a new go-to for book clubs and parties. 

ONION CHUTNEY

6 cups onions sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp mustard seeds
4 dried chilis crushed (I just crushed them by hand)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

Heat the oil in a pan. 

Add the cumin mustard seeds and chilis and heat until they start to sputter (you will hear it!)

Add the onions and sautee until they turn golden brown.  I cooked them for quite awhile on about medium heat, probably about 30 minutes.

Add the chili powder, salt, sugar and lemon juice and cook until all the sugar dissolves and everything has blended together.

Store in a jar.

You can try my recipe for baked camembert and onion chutney

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was awesome!