Sunday, January 31, 2010

Chicken with mustard shallot sauce, twice baked ramekin potatoes and sauteed spinach

After the Wisconsin weekend I was dying to eat some nice, clean food AND try out my new mustard.

We decided to do chicken cutlets in a mustard shallot sauce with a dash of cream, twice baked potatoes in our little red le creuset ramekins, which I love, and sauteed spinach.  I was dreaming about greens, literally.  Friday night I dreamt that I had my juicer with me on the trip and mixed up a ton of veggies for breakfast in the morning! 

CHICKEN CUTLETS IN MUSTARD SHALLOT SAUCE

FOR THE CHICKEN:
3 chicken cutlets
scant 1 Tbsp olive oil
lemon
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a pan and cook each of the cutlets with salt and pepper.  As they are cooking, squeeze a little bit of lemon juice directly onto the chicken.  The juice almost carmelizes and gives the chicken a nice brown.

Set chicken aside

FOR THE SAUCE:
1-2 shallots diced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp of my new Green Olive and Lemon Mustard (or mustard of your choice)
2-3 Tbsp chicken stock
dash of cream

Heat the oil in the same pan you cooked the chicken in.  Sautee the shallots.  Pour in a little chicken stock and stir to pick up all the delicious bits on the bottom of the pan.  ***here you could also use some white wine, we just didn't have a bottle that we wanted to open.

Add in the mustard and a dash of cream and continue to stir until it thickens.

Return the chicken cutlets to the pan with the sauce and turn to coat.

No comments: