Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Raw Creamy Celery Soup

In sticking with my new found resolution for weight loss and pursuit of overall health I had a nice polenta square with ragu with some leftover salad for lunch and decided to do a raw dinner after a run on the treadmill at the gym. 

P.S.  not having tv at home does make going to the gym more inviting.  I got to watch the Biggest Loser!  And if that won't inspire you to run, I don't know what will....

I came across this recipe on the Raw Epicurean website and tweaked the ingredients and portion size just a bit.  You need the juicer and blender, although the RawEpicurean site says instead of juicing the celery you can remove the fibrous strings in the celery by hand and just blend. 

RAW CREAMY CELERY SOUP

1/2 cup celery juice
1/2 avocado pitted
1/2 cup water
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp agave
Sea salt and pepper to taste

After juicing the celery, add all ingredients to the blender.  Blend until smooth and creamy.  Refrigerate prior to serving.  Garnish with celery leaves, parsley leaves or fresh chopped celery.

I enjoyed this although it wasn't as creamy as I would have liked.  I might cut the water a little bit next time.  The original recipe called for the addition of either red onion or shallot but raw onion sometimes gives me a headache so I eliminated it.  I might instead add a little heat in the form of cayenne or hot sauce. 

No comments: