Monday, November 2, 2009

Lentil Sausage Soup

I love Monday nights.  Mondays I always come straight home from work and love to get things in order for the following week.  This often involves cooking several items to have available throughout the week.

Recently I have been craving lentils and decided that a lentil sausage soup would be perfect for the week ahead.

LENTIL SAUSAGE SOUP

1 1/2 cups lentils (rinsed and drained)
8 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 mild italian sausage links, meat removed from casings
1 can diced tomatoes (drained)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
3 celery stalks chopped
1 carrot chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
salt and pepper
red wine vinegar
*several handfuls baby spinch (optional)

In a large sauce pan sautee the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in the olive oil.  Remove from pan.

In the pan cook the sausage until browned.

In a large stock pot put the vegetables, sausage, broth, lentils, canned tomatoes, herbs and seasonings.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 40 minutes.  Right at the end I throw some spinach in.  I then add a dash of red wine vinegar to brighten things up.  Start with maybe a half tablespoon and add more if you like. 

If you like, puree about 3 ladles full of the soup and return it to the pot for a thicker soup.

The soup is done and I'm waiting for my husband to return to work for the final taste test! 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oohhh...this looks so much better than mine. I wish I didn't have Mikel the Picky to please or I would try this. Kristie