Saturday, November 7, 2009

Pumpkin Sage Risotto

Earlier this week I became slightly obsessed with roasting a pumpkin, so I did it.  It's easy, simply cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and threads and put face down on a baking sheet in a 400 degree oven for about an hour (plus or minus depending on the size of the pumpkin).

Now, I have a big batch of pumpkin puree that I need to do something with!  Last night, while I was out with friends eating crepes, Jason stayed home and made pumpkin risotto.  I just had a little for breakfast (I love leftover risotto for breakfast) and it was quite good!  Jason and I do not see eye to eye on the use of sage, so his dish had a little more than I would care for but that's my only comment.  He served the risotto as an accompaniment to a chicken breast with pesto. 

PUMPKIN SAGE RISOTTO

1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 onion diced
2 garlic cloves minced
5-6 cups of chicken stock
3/4 cup white wine
Pecorino (1/4 - 1/2 cup grated)
Olive oil
1 tbsp butter
8 fresh sage leaves chopped (to taste)
Nutmeg
Salt
Pepper

In a sauce pan bring the stock to an almost simmer and keep warm.

In a large pot sautee the onion in oil with salt and peper until onion is softened. 

Add the garlic and rice.  Sautee until rice starts becoming translucent.

Add the white wine and stir until liquid is abosrbed and alcohol is gone (about 3 minutes).

Add 1 ladle full of stock to the rice.  Stir until liquid is absorbed.  Continue adding stock one ladle at a time until the rice is cooked.

Just before it is finished, add the pumpkin, sage, a dash of nutmeg, the butter and additional salt and pepper to taste.  Grate the pecorino into the dish.  Stir until pumpkin is heated through.  Add a dash of apple cider vinegar to brighten up the flavors.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Rosemarie said...

I wonder if I could do the same thing with buttercup squash (i've had sitting on my counter for 2 weeks!)