Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Summer Indeed, Farro Salad!


Woman cannot survive on vegetable terrine alone! So as I was putting that one together I also brewed up a farro salad. Farro is a fabulous and ancient Italian grain I have been dying to start cooking with.

Our local wine and specialty food shop in the 'hood, Provenance has carried it in the past but didn't have any while I was shopping so I found some at Whole Foods. I'm sure most Italian specialty shops would carry it, but I wanted to travel as little as possible.


To prepare, just add a cup of farro to a sauce pan and cover with water about an inch or so above the grain. Boil for about 30-40 minutes, or until the farro is tender, and drain

I let it cool and added fresh mint, fresh parsley, a little basil, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice and a dash of salt and pepper.

There are a million variations, but this is a great cold side salad. I plan to start incorporating more farro into our diet!

1 comment:

Andrea D Goodwin said...

I want some. Sounds delish! Perhpas you'll inspire me to start cooking healthy things again. I used to do these things...