Monday, August 3, 2009

Blueberry Betty



The blueberry. Or Vaccinium Corymbosum. Whatever you call them, blueberries are quite the rage these days. I see recipes with blueberries everywhere.


This past Saturday making plans to have dinner with friends we were told to bring dessert. Now, dessert is not really my thing. For those of you who have eaten dinner at my house you know that dessert is often a BYO affair.


But looking at all the beautiful blueberries inspired me to try my hand at my mom and aunt's famous Blueberry Betty. Every summer at my aunt and uncle's place in Michigan we would go to the market to great fresh Michigan blueberries for the betty.


Now, there may be a lot of sugar and butter in this recipe, but don't judge me too harshly. It's dessert and it was a dinner party. And it is chock full of all the antioxidant benefits that blueberries impart. And it's always a hit. I bought a 5 pound box of blueberries so there have been 2 betties made for gatherings and some vegan blueberry and raspberry ice cream chilling in the freezer.


BLUEBERRY BETTY

-enough blueberries to fill a 9x12 pan
-lemon
-1 scant tsp cornstarch
-1 stick butter (I pull it out 30 minutes or an hour before to soften on the counter)
-1 cup sugar (I use half brown and half white)

-1 cup flour

Put the berries in the pan, squeeze the juice of one small lemon over them and sprinkle less than a tsp of cornstarch and mix it all up. The cornstarch just helps hold the berries together, you can use tapioca if you have it.

Mix the butter, sugar and flour. Spread this crumble over the top of the berries.

Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes or until the crumble has started to brown. Let cool before serving.


No comments: