Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Cuckoo

The book I finished reading tonight finds its characters travelling to Florence in the last 20 pages of the book.

I didn't expect this turn in the plot and felt my heart jump just a little bit reading about Santa Croce, the Piazza Signoria.  Even before my marriage in the Palazzo Vecchio, Firenze held a most special place in my heart.

I have so many amazing memories of the city and countryside, but the one I couldn't stop thinking about tonight was the sound of the cuckoo.

This May as Jason and I spent a week in a nearly deserted Torre a Cona, I had the nearly epiphanic experience of being awake in the morning, seemingly the only person awake yet on the earth, walking across the dewy grass to sit on our little patio and hearing the call of my first cuckoo.

No comments: