Monday, November 19, 2012

Almond Milk

I've been participating in a "Get Healthy" challenge at work. It's a weekly team challenge in Biggest Loser style without eliminations. I've gone back to logging my foods which is always a great thing for me to do. Over the last 5 weeks I've lost 5 pounds and am feeling and looking better! The two main dietary issues I've been focusing on are eliminating gluten (it just doesn't sit well with me) and upping my protein intake as I know that my body likes protein. In the mornings I've been having a hard boiled egg for breakfast which keeps me full almost through lunch, usually with a couple of gluten free crackers and almonds in between. However, I've been concerned about what the egg a day might do to my cholesterol.

I was getting caught up on a couple of my Yoga Journal issues and came across some yummy smoothie recipes involving almond milk. I recently bought a giant bag of raw almonds on sale as well as a pineapple and couple of pomegranates and figured I might try making my own almond milk and alternating smoothies and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. It was surprisingly easy to do. I haven't had a chance to figure out the cost-benefit ratio of making versus buying, but I had pounds of almonds and time on my hands. In the coming days I'll share a few of the smoothie recipes I try out!

ALMOND MILK

1 cup almonds
filtered water for soaking
3 cups filtered water
1 date

- Soak the almonds in filtered water overnight in a glass bowl or container in the fridge

- Squeeze the skins off of the almonds (this is easier than it sounds, they slip right off)

- Add the almonds, 3 cups of water and date to a blender and process until smooth

- Strain the milk through a cheesecloth or fine sieve

- Store in the fridge for 3-4 days

**I'm trying to come up with uses for the leftover almond pulp. Any suggestions would be welcome!

No comments: