This salad was taken from Gordon Ramsey's Cooking for Friends. A perfect summer lunch incorporating roasted red and thinly shaved raw chioggia beets which are simply beautiful.
1 Chiogga beet
2-3 Tbsp Olive oil
2-3 Tbsp Sherry vinegar
1 Tbsp shallot, minced
Salt and pepper
- Peel the chioggia beet and using a mandoline, slice into very thin slices.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and pour over the beets. Let marinate in the fridge for at least 20 minutes
FOR THE SALAD - serves 2
Cooked lentils (I cook a large-ish batch and then use throughout the week)
Mixed greens - spring greens, arugula, mizuna etc.
4 Roasted red beets
1-2 ounces of a firm sheep's cheese, diced (I used Carr Valley's Mobay Cheese, which is a goat & sheep blend)
- Cut the roasted beets into quarters if small, cut down further if large
- On each plate spread 2 heaping Tbsp of lentils, 1/2 the roasted beets and 1/2 the cheese. Top with a handful of the greens and 1/2 of the marinated beets.
- Drizzle the marinade on the greens and around the plate.