Friday, January 9, 2009

Fresh Start in the Kitchen

I enjoyed this article from the Minimalist in the Dining & Wine section of the New York Times. A list of items to do away with in your kitchen, and easier, better tasting alternatives.

You know that I love my homemade stock, I've mentioned it here before, and I can't remember the last time I have ever purchased a premade salad dressing.

Here are a couple of other ideas I have for Outs and Ins in the Kitchen, 2009



1. OUT - Yellow Mustard
IN - A good dijon. Yellow mustard is fine to keep around (especially if you have kids)
but a great dijon makes everything taste better and combined with good olive oil, salt, pepper and a dash of lemon juice, makes a great salad dressing



2. OUT - Throwing away mushroom stems
IN - Saving the stems, freezing them and using them later in stock. They add a nice
earthiness to both vegetable and chicken stocks



3. OUT - Throwing away the rinds of parmesan. Real parmesan.
IN - Saving the rinds, you can freeze them, and throwing them in soups. Delicious!



4. OUT - Mashed potatoes
IN - Mashed potatoes and root vegetables. Take those boring potatoes, and add in some celery root or parsnips. Just cook them all together.

1 comment:

Rosemarie said...

I second all of those - esp the parmesean rind. I just throw one in a winter minestrone I made and it was delicious!