Monday, May 7, 2012

Avocado Asparagus Tartine

A couple of weeks ago I made this amazing avocado asparagus tartine from 101cookbooks. I adore this website and have found every recipe I've tried to be delicious. This tartine was no exception. I had never before considered combining asparagus and avocado. I made just two little tartines (halved the recipe) for Jason and I to enjoy one evening as an amuse bouche while we cooked dinner one evening and look forward to serving this again. Bookclub perhaps?



4 toasted slices of whole grain bread or french baguette
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound thin asparagus stalks, trimmed to be the length of the bread
1 garlic clove thinly sliced (optional)
1/2 teaspoon carraway seeds
1 avocado pitted and smashed with a splash of lemon juice
a couple of handfuls of arugula tossed in olive oil
toasted pepitas


  • Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat
  • Add asparagus and a pinch of salt and cook for about 30 second
  • Add the garlic and carraway seeds and cook for another 30 seconds or so and remove from the heat
  • Spread each slice of bread generously with the mashed avocado
  • Top with a bit of arugula, several asparagus spears and a few pepitas
* I made mine without the arugula and it was still delicious!

No comments: