Monday, May 2, 2011

Altgeld Sawyer Corner Farm

For the third year, the formerly blighted corner at Altgeld and Sawyer is functioning as a Corner Farm!  I've had intentions of helping out, but haven't made it happen until this year. I figured I'm going to have an awkward amount of free time this summer since all of my summer classes are jammed into the first 6 weeks, except for an online pre-req course I'm taking through a community college, and figured I needed to start getting some activities lined up!

I'm working with the watering team, responsible for watering the entire garden and implementing a couple of experimental irrigation systems in a couple of beds.

I've gone to an organization meeting and an all garden workday. This morning was the first official watering and it felt great being out in the neighborhood in the early hours (7:30am!) and meeting new people! 

Check out the website and if you're in the area, swing by the farm!  The first plants and seedlings are in, looking forward to a great summer!

1 comment:

Rosemarie said...

That sounds like a great way to garden in the city! If there's a weekend you'll be there, maybe we can take a trip in and see the new digs - get it "digs" ha ha!