Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Long Distance Running

I came across this interesting article in the New York Times.

One of my resolutions when I quit smoking was to take up running.  Amazing how easy it is to get addicted to poison, but how difficult it is to pick up a good habit.  Although this study gave me some hope.  Maybe I'm not a big giant loser, maybe I just need more patience.  Two solid months to develop a habit seems like forever, but is really a small blip on the radar in the grander scope of a lifetime. 

So, I am finally and regularly living out my running dream.  I can truly go out for a 3 mile run with just a normal amount of effort and little forethought.  I have a regular Tuesday night running partner.  I have long distance virtual training partners and support.  And I get a super high when I'm done with my runs!

That is not to say that there aren't days when I dread it.  Days where I even get so far as to get dressed for my run and still procrastinate for another hour.  But the seed of a habit has been planted. 

The overarching goal of course is better health and mainly to lose weight.  The pounds haven't really dropped yet but I'm currently wearing jeans I couldn't get into before and I have "de-puffed" all around.

The tangible goal is a half marathon in Miami!  January 31st.  The training in the winter is actually the most daunting to me.  But the thought of a beautiful run in beautiful weather during the dead of the Chicago winter keeps me motivated. 

I'll let you know how it goes.  I've been training but the official 12 week program starts on Monday.

1 comment:

Rosemarie said...

I think this is awesome! Way to go!