Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday Parkways

I have been enthralled by this idea since I first came across it. Started in Bogota, I believe, the concept of taking major urban thoroughfares and turning them over to foot, bike, and other non-motorized modes of transport for a few hours on Sundays.

Sunday Parkways has come to Logan Square. Jason and I got up early and went for a run.

I had imagined entire streets shut down and children playing, people sitting, running, laughing and dancing. Kind of a giant block party that would stretch from Logan to Pilsen.

Unfortunately, it was less populated, and more highly regulated than that. But Jason and I went for a 30 minute run and it was fun. I loved having the streets to ourselves, being up early in the neighborhood and waving hello to everyone. And I loved running. It was fun and I'm getting better at it! There is a second Sunday scheduled at the end of the month and we'll be out there again, running, smiling and waving.

Ever since I've moved into Chicago, I've been trying to find that neighborhood I want to be a part of. i want to know te people in my local stores and see familiar faces on the streets. I love Logan Square for providing me with a taste of that. If you can ignore the hookers in the alley, the graffiti, and the broken water main I've been calling the city about for 3 days.

1 comment:

Rosemarie said...

This sounds like so much fun -- maybe we'll come down on the 26th and crash the party!