Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011 and Emeril's Apple Slaw

What a wonderful  year 2010 turned out to be!  Capped off by great parties on New Years Eve and New Years day.  For the New Year Eve party the main course included pulled pork sandwiched with a whole variety of sides and snacks.  We brought the savory rosemary and parmesan madelines, cooked properly in the madeline pan I got Jason for Christmas! 

Our New Years Day hosts cooked up a giant ham, homemade macaroni and cheese and other savory treats.  At our hostess' request, I made the Apple Slaw that we had served at a holiday party we hosted a few years ago to compliment our ham.  I had forgotten how delicious and tangy and kind of unexpected the flavors of this slaw were.  I felt it was a little too heavy on the onion, so in this version I've reduced the onion a bit. 



I could get all sentimental and talk about the changes the past year included, the blessings of many friends and family members, old and new, but I'm still just basking in the glow and don't want to spoil it with too many words.  I hope 2011 brings many new experiences and blessings to you all.

EMERIL'S APPLE SLAW - double batch

4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
1/2 thinly sliced red onion
2 julienned apples, core and seeds removed, I used granny smith
2 Tbsp chopped pickled jalapeno
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cups slivered almonds
2 Tbsp chopped mint
2 Tbsp honey
scant 1/2 cup mayonnaise
salt and white pepper

--In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients except the salt and white pepper.

--Mix thoroughly, taste, and season with the salt and pepper

--Chill to let the flavors meld

This dish is a great side on its own but it is really at its best served with the ham on a sandwich

No comments: