Friday, August 29, 2008

Cartwheels


So, I quit smoking today. For those of you who know me well, I have smoked for a long time. I have smoked a lot for a long time.

I did a 5 week behavior modification program with a naturapathic doctor in my neighborhood (check out the link to Stellaria Health on the side bar)

I will write more about the whole process later, or maybe not. But suffice it to say that I just smoked my last cigarette ever. I took the rest of the cigarettes in my pack, broke them in half and threw them and my ashtray in the dumpster. I took the box I had to collect as part of week 1 of my program with all other lighters, ashtrays and any other smoking materials in my house and threw them in the dumpster. I did a last minute raid through all of my bags, purses, drawers, and any lighters or matches I found, I threw them in the dumpster.

I have a jar with all of the cigarettes I have smoked in the last 2 weeks (again, part of the process). I dumped the last few cigarettes from tonight in there and filled it with water. For the next week, if I have a moment of weakness I'm supposed to open the jar and smell it. Aversion therapy is what it's called.

Then, I stood in the backyard and did cartwheels. Lots and lots of cartwheels. I did handstands and somersaults. I used to be pretty good at gymnastics as a kid. No more round off, flip- flop backs for me at this age, but I played in the grass. I got a little out of breath. Imagine that.

It felt great.

It was fun.

Thanks for your support.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Amy!

Wow, this blog is wonderful, and I am so proud of you for getting the smoking monkey off your back! Hopefully some day soon, I'll join you in that endeavor. When I get home, let's do some cartwheels together...sounds fun! Love, hugs, hugs and tons of encouragement.

Veronica

Rosemarie said...

I'm so glad you have a backyard to do your cartwheels in. Sidewalks would have hurt ;)

Good luck with this - you can do it!